Thursday, April 16, 2009

Want of more..

It was my best summer vacations. I still wonder what is about the Great Himalayas that lures tourists the most. Is it the serenity or just the want of cutting off from the rest of the world? A lot have been said and written about this loftiest chain of mountains and still it’s hard to put it in words. It’s a home to a plethora of glaciers and civilization. There are various destinations that can be experienced with a feel of variation in climate, people, culture and so many other facets. Just a mystic glaze of horizon makes our souls fly high. The fresh air rendered to our hungry lungs, cool breeze playing with our hair and the sense of pride of being an integral part of God’s master piece. Since I belong to Punjab, I myself had many opportunities to visit this spectacular terrain. This blog is just a sincere yet incomplete effort of putting its beauty in words. I had a chance to visit my aunt in ladakh two years back. Both my parents are always ready to witness any beauty, so they chalked out that we all will travel to our destination through Jammu and Kashmir. Mind it the journey is breathtaking although very long. The longest tunnel marks the beauty of Kashmir. Wherever you halt, you’ll find number of fruit hawkers with colorful cherries and fruits to charm you. The road travel is the best medium provided you actually want to inhale the exquisiteness. Terrorism and trouble is one blockage that restricts access to certain hot spots. Leaving behind Srinagar and moving towards J&K border, the army area Sonamarg comes. Take my word the area is heaven. With a population of a minimal of 10 families and two dhabas, it homes a beautiful glacier. Moving ahead is not at all easy. From the border an army caravan covered us and we started ahead towards Zozi la pass. The beauty is divine. It is scary also, but then my god how do I narrate it. It’s like being with God, far away from the hush hush of our materialistic world, viewing army personnel who stays there for months all together so that we get a peaceful sleep. The view gave a birth to a very different patriotic feeling. Being at the nose of Pakistan’s watch doesn’t make the beauty less magnificent. The moment we entered Ladakh area, it was like an unfertile land with chilly wind and hot sun which carved its way into my heart. I can feel that spectacular feeling even today. Miles and miles cover not even a green patch of land, no human race till hours of journey and when you reach any small village, it’s just a count of a max of 10 families and the staple food is Maggie which came as a blessing for my cousin sister. When we reached our destination it was like I am not the part of the world I came from, I wanted to settle down in this scenic land of Gods with monasteries and rejuvenate my soul and body. It’s so peaceful yet tough to survive considering the terrain and climate. Hopefully even that might happen someday. Altogether the experience births the greed of visiting this God’s landscape again. And I believe the moment will definitely come again.

No comments:

Post a Comment