Thursday, December 4, 2014

Game of Coffees!!

It is my first love, my soul mate, my lover, who never ever fails to make me blissful every time I take a sip of it. COFFEE!!! Yes I am a coffee lover. Before moving to Calgary after my wedding, I used to date Barista Lavazza atleast once a day. A decaff Americano with one brown sugar sachet and no milk used to make my day. A welcome smile in the café was like topping on the cake.

Personally I was never a fan of black coffee. During my childhood, my mother used to make milk coffee for me thrice a day so that I am up and fresh for my studies. Well then I used to enjoy coffee more than the books. My mother played a pivot role in my habit of reading and writing while sipping my fav coffee brand.

After coming down to Calgary I realized that the taste of coffee is really different then it was back in India. This really amazed me as how is it possible for the same bean, technique and brand to taste so different and I did start my research.

It all comes down to what we call terroir.

Like wine, coffee expresses regional characteristics and exhibits the effects of its terroir, or "taste of place." Differences in soil, altitude, rainfall, processing techniques, and even social conditions affect what's in the cup.  One of the most important conditions is the areas own traditions and for handling and processing coffee. WOW…Isn’t it amazing!!!

Well big coffee brands like Starbucks do manage to keep same coffee taste throughout the world because of their programmed filtration systems to treat the water which spins into same cup of your fav coffee. So the coffee in New York, USA will taste same as in New Delhi, India. However this does not mean that you need to visit Starbucks while you are travelling or shifted to a new place like me. I have found a small solution for this big problem. Always use filtered water. Yes you heard right!!! Filtered or treated water does the trick.

When I shifted to Calgary, I tried Tim Hortons, Starbucks for my coffee treats however going to these cafes every time you crave for coffee is not practical and may soon create a hole in your pocket. You can make a great cup of coffee at your home sweet home which tastes same as the one you had during your childhood.

First and foremost, always used Roasted coffee or in case you can grind the beans at your place in a powder form.. Bingo…!! In case you are buying roasted coffee from a store, please note that it should be fresh and not stale more than 2 weeks. The shelf life of roasted coffee is long however it kills the original taste of coffee. OR you can buy a coffee machine and use a T-Disc since they have all the flavors intact in the disc which your machine reads and pours the exact kind you like. There are many brands available in market like Black & Decker, Tassimo, Keurig, Hamilton and many more. My fav is Tassimo and I have a Tassimo T 65, amazing machine and great coffee.

So for all the coffee lovers, this blog is right from my heart. Grab your coffee, go out, read, write, enjoy and live life to the fullest…

2 comments:

  1. I love coffee too but drink instant coffee,i knw its not as good as roasted but i have no coffee machine and knw not much abt making coffee,I'm more into tea but i make my cafe au lait with strawberry milkshake powder and top it with icecream .... good enuf for me but i'm going to learn more abt coffee ....btw i drink black coffee too,my Mom fails to understand how i can drink smthing so bitter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i get that a lot as well.. people relate bitterness to black coffee.. its all about the taste buds one has..
    i drink green tea daily as a regime but my first love is coffee. :D

    ReplyDelete